W7 in Barcelonnette - June 2022

 Arrived here a couple of weeks ago, to the usual greeting of "you should have been here last week when conditions were perfect!".

I spent the first flight getting back into the mountains, with winds which were upsetting my usually reliable ridges , but once I got my head around it all, I managed to visit the Glacier Blanc. 

Glacier Blanc close up (Wyn Davies)

 The second day brought rain and no flying.

My second flight was fun, visiting the Glacier from wave which took me up to FL185. This time the local ridges were all upset by wave interference and thermals were rough and ragged. Once into wave and viewing the Alps from on high I settled for sightseeing, and a return to the local area, whilst the pundits visited Mount Blanc.

Wave over the Alps (Wyn Davies)

Decided to visit family in Lyon while some very severe weather brought cloudbursts and flooding.

Then clear skies gave a great day for visiting the mountains north of Brianson and thermal streets which developed allowing a high soaring dash south to the Lac St Croix.

Lac St Croix on a thermic day (Wyn Davies)

 With changeable weather we've spent time climbing the Morgan on foot rather than gliding, and the local pundits are declaring that tomorrow will be epic for gliding. Was it ever thus? - Wyn Davies W7