On the days leading up to Wednesday, the weather forecast indicated it to be the worst day of the week with wall to wall rain and Thursday being the much better day. Come Tuesday evening they had swapped places and John Sillett gave a glimmer of hope for some flying, confirming we might get something out of the day first thing Wednesday morning - before the rain arrived.
A small but hopeful group gathered under a threatening sky which looked anything but hopeful, but nonetheless we setup the field for the light southwesterly crosswind. Along with John & Glenn a few of the Wednesday regulars got two K21's and a Junior out and with the launch point at the north east corner for a change it was only a short walk. The sky looked promising and the first flights just after 10:00 went straight into thermals which were generally kicking off at the southwest corner of the south ridge up to about 1400ft but Malcolm Vest along with Glenn managed one to over 2000ft. The Family West took to the skies in K21s, both Father and Son are showing good progress.
|Hopeful launch point (Mark Layton)|
Mean the Junior was being used by solo pilots with varying degrees of success, there being broken lift, possibly some wave and occasional quite strong thermals. After a short while the high cloud cover started to appear and those on the ground thought the opportunity for anything other than circuits had gone. It was not the case as the Junior flights had to be limited to 30 mins to allow everyone to fly - the usual suspects taking honours there.
|Chris Warnes in Junior (Mark Layton)|
The mixture of training and post-Covid check flights continued in the two-seaters until the flying list had been completed coinciding with the appearance of some drizzle and the long expected rain at just after 1500, and we were all packed away before the heavier rain arrived. The initial hope was well rewarded! - (ed: Mashup blog) GlennTurpin & Mark Layton