Tues 18th July - Course Week

 What a fantastic way to spend a week. Surrounded by the beauty of North Hill, enjoying a week training course organised by the Devon & Somerset Gliding Club, which I am now a proud member of.

I have just spent my second day making new acquaintances, building friendships and having a laugh with my instructor who has a great sense of humour. Yesterday had to be one of the best Monday mornings I have had in a long while because I am an over-worked, stressed business owner who spends Monday mornings doing the cash-flow and planning yet another under-resourced busy week. 

Nicholas Johnson getting some more solos (Karen King)


I have five fellow students, all sharing a common interest, to improve our skills under instruction of two of the nicest Instructors, supported by a merry band of helpers. I am a novice pilot and after just two days, my confidence is building, my skills are being honed through practice and the relaxing joy of a week away from my office is forming a big grin to cross my face.

Doing something that requires full concentration coupled with such a great adrenaline rush, when one’s turn comes round again for another well instructed lesson, is such a lovely change from my normal work week. I have read that doing something exciting every day ensure that one stays young. I can’t wait for my next day gliding as I feel so alive when I sit in the cockpit.

I thoroughly enjoy being told what to do and how to do it. All from a good place to ensure mine and others safety. Brings back memories of being back at school but this time it puts a smile on my face, as I am actually learning and not rebelling as I did over 45 years ago.

This week on the July gliding course on North Hill is my weeks holiday. I cannot recommend a better way to spend a week away from your busy life.

Paul Jobin (first time blogger)