W7 in France in June

On Monday 3rd June, undeterred by a poor forecast for the Alps I set off with W7 in tow to catch the evening ferry to Calais.
Napped on the ferry and then drove/napped (not simultaneously I might add) to arrive at Barcelonnette on Tuesday evening.
I was met by the usual “you should have been here last week/month”.  Had a rest on Wednesday and on Thursday decided to have my first flight, in W7, - a sort of short “self-check flight” as I am apparently still current, from last September.
A week on and I have spent more days on the push bike than flying. 

8th June
There was not a cloud in the sky, and the local ridges worked well enough to get away to the North. Then the fun began as I slowly appreciated that the ridges were not always working as expected due to very strong thermals, and on top of that, later in the day, some got a bit lively being in the lee of wave.  I never really worked it out but found a good wave bar in the blue to bring me back to base. Where are all the clouds when you need them, to mark the Wave/Thermal etc.? Nowhere to be seen, just pure Alpine blue. 
Pure Alpine Blue (Wyn Davies)
12th June
This was forecast to be better, and it was because there were clouds.  Good fast run to the North on the ridges and then back to Glacier Blanc – obscured by cloud. The usual run down the Ecrins was made more fun by the tops being in cloud. Crossed to the Morgon, which had its head in cloud and pushed out under some convergence in the Durance valley. The Parcour was not really accessible due to cloud, so flew various convergences and thermals back to base.
Convergences (Wyn Davies)
13th June
Briefing was for the prefect day. 700k potential according to TopTherm. Big challenge – it was blue again. I planned to press on further than usual into the North Alps. When I got past Briancon, I was not at all confident with the way the ridges didn’t deliver as hoped. Decided to return to familiar territory and climbed high to enter the Glacier Blanc. However, that endeavour was aborted, as part way in it was too lively, and a fast exit was required.  Found a nice climb into wave and reached 5000m, with views to match. Strong winds at height, and a pleasant push over Mt Guillaume and over to the Pic de Morgon well below. Had a short trip down beyond the Dormilouse, but it was not working in a classic way, so called it a day and came back to base. Later, at the usual chat and comparing flights, I was told, that strong SW winds make for “interesting” conditions on the ridges. How very true I thought.
WOW! What a view (Wyn Davies)
Score so far is, Push bike 6, Glider 3.  Hoping it improves.  
Hope it improves (Wyn Davies)
More rain so the Push bike wins again - Wyn Davies