Fri 4th June - Ad-hoc day

 At eight o’clock in the morning a clear blue sky covered North Hill. I kindly declined the offer of going to Beer with my parents, to stay at the caravan instead and help run wings for the cross-country pilots. This plan was suddenly changed though when Nick Jones very generously offered his seat in the Duo Discus to me, which I quickly accepted.

After some prep-work Phil and I both jumped in DD3 and Pete Startup got in 230. Pete had suggested a 200k North Hill - Molton - Launceston - Wimbleball - North Hill which Phil and I decided to follow.

Once we launched at around noon we both started our climbs up to a terrific 4000ft QNH cloud base and Pete lead the way with Phil and I not far behind. Within the first 20k I had already managed to get us low but was saved by a new thermal! After Phil and I had turned South Molton, Pete was already 20k infront. However this lead was swiftly lost as Pete got low halfway along the second leg and we cruised past!

230's flight
 Somehow Pete had managed to wiggle past us by our third turn point, Wimbleball, however due to Phil’s expertise in thermal selection we pulled ahead again just before the line!

Thanks again to Phil and Nick for letting me jump in the back of the Duo, to Robert Lee for towing us out of North Hill and Andy Pincombe for running the wing. - Dan Hender