Tues 2nd June

A great call from the Chairman for an ad-hoc day to continue the post-lockdown solo cross-country flyiing.

From the BGA National ladder
Pete Startup 230 272Kms
HHL HEMBURY HILL
MLN MOLTON
FOR FORDINGBRIDGE [A]
DOR DORCHESTER
NHL NORTH HILL
[A][ABANDONED] SIX SIXPENNY HANDLEY
"Thought we'd nailed the task for todays forecast. We were running well but the clouds stopped more than 25km from Fordingbridge. Not sure if it was sea air or had just dried out and gone blue, so I tiptoed as far as Sixpenny Handley but felt no movement in the air so called it. At another time I would probably have taken a punt. Still, another top day out with some of the NH Nomads."

Phil Morrison DD3 240Kms
HHL HEMBURY HILL
MLN MOLTON
FOR FORDINGBRIDGE [A]
DOR DORCHESTER
NHL NORTH HILL
[A][ABANDONED] IWE IWERNE MINSTER
"Great start, fantastic conditions for West Country but Fordingbridge out in the blue probably a bit too far. Great day anyway."


Wyn Davies W7 261Kms
HHL HEMBURY HILL
MLN MOLTON
CER CERNE ABBAS
SID SIDMOUTH
MUD MUDFORD GATE
NHL NORTH HILL

Exe Estuary from W7 (Wyn Davies)

Wyn checking up on Pete and Jill at MUD (Wyn Davies)

"Set off with the North Hill nomads heading to Fordingbridge, the going was reasonable until around Sturminster. I decided to head back and completed a random undeclared task. The sky got better and better, so I made a first visit for me to the river Exe by glider , and then followed the energy to Sidmouth and up to Mudford Gate. Another brilliant day out from Devon."

Eric Alston G29 203Kms
NHL NORTH HILL
MUD MUDFORD GATE
STU STURMINSTER NEWTON
DOR DORCHESTER
NHL NORTH HILL
"Another very good day for North Hill. Sturminster Newton was just the right place for a turning point as ther no furthe cu east of here. Good task suggested by Phil Morrison."
Andy Davey M 200Kms
NHL NORTH HILL
TIV TIVERTON
CRK CREWKERNE
NHL NORTH HILL
"Andy flew 2 laps of the Club 100 Tiverton - Crewkerne "

Rowan Smith CLM 101Kms
Womble along the South Coast
Great view of the south coast from CLM (Rowan Smith)

"A lovely trip to the seaside (beats being at work).
Having decided at 12pm that I work too hard, I  moved all of my afternoon meetings around to allow me to take the afternoon off. I arrived at 1pm to find that the tug had been put to bed and my heart sank. Lucky Robert kindly pulled it back out allowing me to get aloft (thank you so much).

And want a lovely day. Staying in glide plus a safety margin, with the high cloud base allowed me to be wonder down to Lyme Regis, then along to Seaton, Sidmouth, Budleigh and finally cutting short of Exmouth. Taking in the lovely view of the Exe estuary, the visibility and the views where just stunning and reminded me why we do this, sometimes frustrating, sport.

Having attended (most of) the FRTOL course, it gave me the confidence to be a good citizen to talk to Exeter. There was a surprising amount of traffic. They appeared grateful for my participation.

What a lovely day to go gliding thanks Nick for organising the ad hoc day and for Robert who got us (even the annoyingly late) aloft."