Barcelonnette - September

First few days - 

After taking an early ferry from Dover to Calais on 11th, Marie and I shared the driving directly to Barcelonnette, arriving after dark.

A fine day dawned on Wednesday and I went for a couple of hours in the club DuoDiscus to re-familiarise myself with the local mountains and complete the check flight. 
A great looking sky (Wyn Davies)
Thursday I flew W7 locally, and the conditions were fairly lively and did not inspire me with confidence to leave the valley.

Friday and Saturday were both strong days, so I ventured North over the Col de Vars, to Briancon, and then back via the Glacier Blanc 

Glacier Blanc in all its glory (Wyn Davies)
and a short excursion down the Parcourt. Both days were fairly similar, but with a much higher cloud base on the second day allowing a full view of the Glacier, which was obscured by cloud on the first visit. 
Running the ridges of the Parcourt  (Wyn Davies)

Although the mountains give very strong lift and you can get it wrong and find the corresponding sink, my land out options were another airfield, with an arrival height of over 5,000 feet, taking the stress out of situations where I was going to mountains "low ", and scratching back above the ridges. Another week to go with mixed forecasts. - Wyn Davies