Thursday 3rd July

Unusual for a Thursday, without the recent long walks to the other end of the field, we managed to get going just after 09:30. It was very pleasant with light west south westerly wind, but a few clouds drifted across the field at 1000ft, but cloudbase soon lifted, and eventually topped out at just short of 4000ft in a convergence line along the motorway. 

Mark L in Junior led the way into the wave with Chris W and Nigel in DG505 following. Mike F in Pik 20 having landed out at Watchford Farm got a relight from Barbie in the Cub, and then got into the lovely evening wave returning to North Hill.

Congratulations to Chris M on his first solo, Chris started gliding in August 2012 when he was given a retirement present of a 5 day course.
John congratulates Chris
News from Competition Enterprise
There's an unsubstantiated rumour that Liam didn't land in a field today.........
Yes the rumours were true I didn't land out...  The task was set (the name of which I can't remember) which included two cones of 30 degrees in opposite directions based on Melksham running along the NE SW line. The idea was to do an out and return in both of the cones. Just before launching Justin Wills said to me that this task was set with me in mind (I should have mentioned the 15 knot SW wind) so I had planned to just go down wind to Norwich. First launch however kept being put back, the Arcus and the ASH26 self launchers went out sniffing and we were soon introduced to the sound of the motors restarting... the optimism for anyone to launch was very small until I looked at the sky and thought 'I've stayed up in worse'. So I pushed to the front of grid with lots of looks of surprise and took a launch. On the ground at this time were a lot of pilots rushing to launch not wanting to be shown up by a 18 year old in his paper bag which amused me slightly as the whole grid launched only to come landing straight back and giving up for the day. I managed to remain airborne for a bit longer in this tiny little bowl that was kicking off something but didn't manage to go anywhere. - Liam