Wednesday 26th June - La Motte du Caire

W7 is launched.
After 25 flights , which started in July 2011, I was signed off to make my first solo in the mountains.
Smooth winch launch to 1,200' and headed to the Blachere. Having been on this mountain many times in training, I half expected to be back in circuit within a couple of runs. However the lift was good and I climbed steadily for nearly 15 minutes, back and forth . Not having the courage to go as close as in training, lots of energy was wasted, but all was done at safe speeds with a big 'margin'. Pushed north a short way to climb the Jalinier (1,465m). Got a great thermal that made the leap of 5k SE to the Jouere possible. Played on the Jouere for a while getting used to closer mountain flying on my own and radioed down for clearance to go to the Gache. Arrived with so much height to spare, the mountain was hardly working in the gentle WNW breeze. At 7 pm the light was getting softer and the early haze was burnt off giving crystal clear views all around, with the high Alps in clear siloette. A gentle glide back to the Jouere for more ridge running. Going as low as I dared and then scratching back up. With the field of La Motte in close range, it was a joy. So grateful for all the training I have had and especially in the mountains for Christian's relentless encouragement to get this far.
Wyn