Monday 7th February High on Gliding

I was seriously beginning to question my sanity driving up to Nympsfield in the pouring rain on Monday but I had been offered the back seat inTrevor Stuart's Nimbus 3DT and the forecast promised good conditions for an afternoon ridge run down to Bath. As a budding cross country pilot this was comparable to a busker being asked to jam by Eric Clapton and borrowing his Fender Stratocastor into the bargain,there was no way I was going to miss this opportunity.

Needless to say it was epic! Trevor had rallied a few troops to help get us airborne (the only launch that day) and he had even declared a task NYM - Bath race course(BAT) - Dursley South West(DSW) - BAT - DSW - BAT for a distance of 135km. The top of the launch was the highest part of the flight, with most of it flown at around 500' above Nympsfield QFE, the height we would usually be at, at low key on approach to land.

I can only stand in awe of Trevor's enthusiasm and ability which allowed him to search out these "extreme" gliding possibilities and to then share and encourage others to try them for themselves. My gliding horizons have been pushed back considerably which only makes me more of an addict.


Shempp-Hirth Nimbus 3DT, 25.5m best LD 57:1 at 57kts