Sunday 14th January

Following several weekends of grotty weather and the delights of reading about blue skies and flying on Wednesday and Thursday in the blog, Sunday dawned with the promise of flyable weather. The initial trickle of members soon turned into whatever the plural is for quite a few glider pilots! James Flory and Stuart Procter as the first instructors on the scene oversaw the unpacking of the hanger whilst others sorted out the ground kit. Low cloud and canopy misting then delayed deployment of the kit and whilst many retreated to the club house for breakfast a few dedicated members took the chance to check the tyre pressures on the winch. Having concluded they were very low the tyres were quickly returned to full pressure, until one helpful soul remembered everyone of the note from Nick Jones about keeping the pressures low to help prevent the field from being cut up. However, 10 out of 10 for doing a proper DI and acting on possible faults!
Visibility less than stunning (James Flory)
As the cloud began to lift the gliders were positioned in the North West Corner and flying commenced. Although the visibility was less then stunning the air was still, with ever so slight suggestions of lift off the south ridge. With a lengthening training list Ron Johns and Glenn Turpin stepped in to help things move along. Simon Rickard a new member had his first flights in nearly a year with James Flory, whilst many others got the chance to do some training and to remain current. Daniel Johns did a great job helping to run the line with Martin Bennett, both of whom also managed to fly. Ray Dodd continued the momentum in the afternoon with Ian Mitchell taking over as  the Duty Instructor. 

Martin Woolner and Ian Mitchell continued Martin’s TMG training in the Falke and several members enjoyed short, but refreshing flights in the Junior. Having heard rumours that the tug might be needed Pete Warren duly drove the tug to the top of the field only then having to drive it back down again at the end of the day without any takers; the cloud base and visibility meant aerotows were not an attractive option. Overall a really good day with 40 launches. Yes the longest flight without an engine was only 11 minutes, but many people kept current and were able to start adding launches to their winter refresher cards. A great team effort and really nice to see so many members on a Sunday. Fingers crossed it’s not to long before we can fly on a weekend again! - James Flory