Saturday 5th July

The dodgy forecast must have put most members off from turning up today, and there was a slow start with Robin working his way through the short flying list. Morning DLM Andrew even found enough time  between organising the team to rig his Ka6 GDE.

The day turned out better than expected and Pete St was surprised to find himself rigging Discus 230, having been put off by the dodgy forecast from bringing any gadgets and had to resort to using an m.a.p during his flight round Mudford Gate and Ilminster, the bit from Honiton to Ilminster and back in a sea breeze front. 

The forecast showers never materialised  and most members present enjoyed some afternoon soaring, though no great heights or distances were achieved.

Lisa converted to LS3 KMV and soared for an hour while Stu looked on, wondering whether he was going to get a turn. 
Lisa in KMV

Ruth was surprised to convert to her beautiful, newly acquired Libelle L18, having been put off by the dodgy forecast from bringing her own parachute (fortunately there were plenty of club spares), and after much briefing(or was it badgering?) by the assembled throng, flew 3 nicely handled flights. Much grinning was in evidence so I think she likes it!
Ruth in Libelle

Congratulations to Paul C, who flew his first solo in Falke VG.
Moral of the day: forget the forecast, come and fly and bring your kit! - Ruth(with Pete S editing)

News from last day of Comp Enterprise
The task Ever Decreasing Circles was set, this consisted of rings of 20km, 40km, 60km etc radius based on NYM,  you could fly to the further circle and back to NYM and then if you wished go to a smaller circle and do the same thing.
 I chose to fly to the 40km circle with the idea to fly the 20km if there was still time we also had a small window of only 2 and a half hours where distance would be scored to ensure everyone got home in time for the party.
I had a relight (ed: lesson from day 1) but after the second launch managed a lovely climb to 4000ft with the sky looking amazing to the east. 
 I naturally went to the north for 3 reasons: 1) There was a strong westerly wind and I didn't fancy pushing into wind so kept across it where possible, 2) there was a convergence line set up in that direction and most importantly 3) I had wanted to go to Wales all week. 
The convergence line wasn't working great if at all but it allowed me to fly without turning for a good 20km, plus the views of the Malverns was excellent (ok, not quite Wales). After turning the 40km line, I just couldn't find a climb and ended up gliding slowly towards some west facing hills some 10/15km away. At this point the convergence had gone completely and I never quite made it to the hills. After scratching around a bit,  I choose my field and was trying to work out if I would miss the party or not, just as I came to the conclusion of no, I stumbled into 7 up. It was very rough but after several turns attempting to center in it, I managed to climb up to 4000ft.  I could just make out the NYM ridge and the PDA said I was 600ft above glide and the sky ahead of me was completely blue, so I pressed on and then the 600ft turned into 400ft. Then the crushing moment that this was calculating a glide to the turnpoint 5km out from the airfield, but I carried on pushing, arriving at the ridge just above it. There was a bowl in the ridge that I thought had to be working, with the rest of the ridge being across the wind it was my last hope. I managed to get just a small kick from it of about 150/200ft, but it was enough to allow me to land on the airfield. 
So I got back from an Enterprise task - which is a first for me,  but I also got 5th place for the day on handicap.  - Liam